|Asparagus Quinoa enchilada bowl|
Love me some green enchiladas! Enchiladas were a staple in my Hispanic family while growing up. My mom would spend a whole day making the special family red sauce recipe and then hand roll each enchilada filled with cheese and sometimes meat. I decided to make a rift off enchiladas with quinoa and a rice cooker! I love my rice cooker and i love making one pot meals in it! Super laid back and an easy way to make some comfort food for a cloudy day!
- 1 can of las Palmas green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 4 sweet peppers chopped fine
- About 8-10 stalks of Asparagus cut on a diagonal (Cutting vegetables on the diagonal exposes more of the vegetable’s surface area to the heat)
- pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs of dry onions ( you can use fresh, but the dry ones work just as well when steaming)
- 1 tbs of coconut oil
- pinch of red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp of cumin
- Avocado (optional)
- Queso fresco (or cheese of choice or no cheese at all! feta, Mexican cheese, or marbled ect…)
- Cilantro to garnish
- Hemp seeds to garnish (optional)
- 1 egg (optional: I dropped a whole egg in to poach in the green sauce while it was cooking but this is totally optional too)
Drag out your rice cooker and dump the 1 cup of quinoa into it to be rinsed off! After rinsing your quinoa pour in your green sauce and just let it sit while you prep all the vegetables. ( 1 cup of quinoa equal to two cups of liquid! Just like you would for rice)
Chop up your Asparagus on the diagonal. When you do this is exposes the vegetable surface area to heat and helps break down the asparagus veg to be less fibrous. Chop up the sweet peppers (try to get a try color if possible add some color to the dish) finely. Once done with your chopping through all the veg into the pot. Add your dried onions, coconut oil, cumin, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Give it all a good stir, put the lid on and set it to cook! should take about 15- 20 mins. occasionally check on it ( i checked on it at 10 mins) and give it a good stir again.
Once its finished spoon it out into a bowl and garnish with some cheese of your choice, some hemp seeds, cilantro, and Avocado! Its sooo good and comforting!
Feel free to ask if you have any questions or suggestions! xox
|What everything looks like before setting it to cook !|
Note: If you want to use less sauce, use one cup of sauce and a cup of water to your 1 cup of quinoa. That would cut back on sodium too.